Rolando “Rolly” Romero says he is retired after spending a year inactive while trying to land major fights at welterweight.

The WBA welterweight champion claimed he was avoided by several big names and blamed failed talks with Devin Haney, Conor Benn, Ryan Garcia and Manny Pacquiao for his absence from the ring.

“I’m retired. I haven’t fought in a year, so I’m retired,” Romero said. “I got ducked by nearly everybody.”

The failed Benn fight appears to be the one that frustrates him most. Romero claimed the deal had been completed for May 30 in New York before the matchup fell apart. “We had the whole deal made,” he said.

Romero also criticized Garcia when asked about a possible fight, saying: “Whenever Ryan says something, you can never believe it.”

Whether Romero is truly finished remains unclear. His comments sound more like frustration than a firm retirement, but after 12 months without a fight, his title run has stalled while other welterweights have moved forward.

Image Credit: The RIng