Keyshawn Davis is voicing doubts about Devin Haney’s future should he suffer a second one-sided defeat to Ryan Garcia in their anticipated October rematch. Last April, Garcia floored Haney multiple times en route to a punishing victory at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center, and Davis believes another loss in the same manner might all but derail Haney’s career.

According to Davis, Haney’s year-long hiatus following that defeat is no guarantee of a return to top form. The May 2 “Fatal Fury” event at Times Square requires both Haney and Garcia to win their bouts - Haney against Jose Ramirez and Garcia versus Rolando “Rolly” Romero - to set up their rematch. If either loses, the October showdown and its major payday go up in smoke.

Watch Haney vs. Garcia highlights: Watch

Davis predicts that Garcia’s firepower could overwhelm Romero, while Haney’s style is traditionally about technical boxing. Yet if the 24-year-old Garcia reproduces the relentless approach that led to last year’s stoppage, Davis says Haney’s credibility would be in serious jeopardy: “If he [Ryan] does it like that, bro [Haney] might as well retire,” Davis told The Danza Project. Even if Haney loses by a more competitive margin, Davis feels it may still tarnish his standing.

While retirement is unlikely, Davis believes that another crushing Garcia triumph would leave Haney on the sidelines of a crowded lightweight division. He’d become, in Davis’ words, “like a George Kambosos Jr.-type guy” - relegated to gatekeeper status. For Haney, this high-risk scenario makes the May 2 test against Ramirez and the potential rematch with Garcia all the more significant for sustaining his championship hopes.

Image Credit: The Ring